deniz

Closet Geeks and Slow Mo

Heartbreaker (Unbreakable Book 1) - Stone Bastion, Kat Bastion

Heartbreaker is another good book written by Kat and Stone Bastion. This being a spin off series of No Weddings starring Cade's Sister. But it also is a standalone.

When I found out that this is Kiki as in Cade's sister, I was even more excited about the book. I should mention I only made the connection after I started the book. (I blame my atrocious name memory.)
But in that moment my expectation went another notch up. I should mention, that I have read and enjoyed every book that the Bastion's have published so far- so my expectations weren't low
And Heartbreaker in many way did meet those expectations. Some not so much.

The prose is beautiful and descriptive. Just like always.

This is a slow romance- no fast insta plot here. Nope, just like in No Weddings, these two decided to be friends... yeah, exactly. THAT works really well...lol
There are many amazing moments. The drumming for example. While I am not a drummer by no means. I loved the drumming scenes. I also loved the descriptions of the running... Bastion's at their best!

And just like before this is character driven. And the character building is great. If you read No Weddings you have met quite a few of the support cast already. I was beyond stalked to visit them again. I loved reading about Cade and Hanna. Seeing them from a different POV. But also the rest of the gang. Add to that Darren's peps and you got a interesting and dynamic support cast.
I adore Darren. He is an amazing character. He totally made it into my book boyfriend list. Perfection in my books.
While I was beyond excited to read Kiki's story. I also was most disappointed by her. I just can't wrap my head around her age. Actually, to be exact her immaturity. She is so childish and totally immature. She behaved more like a 17 year old than her actual age. And as the book went on, I found it more and more exasperating.
Her reason for her behaviour when it comes to relationships was..odd? I mean that's all? I guess she is sensitive, but... Really? She is not the only girl this has happened too. And the rest of the world kinda moves on... it's been nearly 10 years for heaven sake!
And the rest? I get that some things are difficult to deal with- trust me I am crap at those things as well- BUT wait so long, the bury one's head in the sand and pretend it's not happening? Again how old is she?
All of this came across more as a spoil rich girl than the sensitive insecure artist that I think she was supposed to portray.
PS the boys rescue?! Freakn AWESOME SAUCE!
But then I also have to say Kiki did do a lot of growing up. I love that she did move on, that she did the run and the last chapter was awesome! After being kinda not impressed with Kiki for most of the book, I totally loved her then. Suddenly I completely loved her. Just amazing!

My other issue, while I liked Darren and Kiki grew on me. I missed their chemistry. I mean, it was kinda written... But I didn't feel it. Not if you compare it to any of the previous books. The smut.. yeah... again I actually read better by Bastion.

I am not sure if my extremely high expectations were detrimental here...
Still a solid romance. Well written, a great male lead, many amazing moments and a fabulous HEA.
Oh and I can't wait for Mase's book!!