deniz

Closet Geeks and Slow Mo

Can you say cliche?

Modern Girl's Guide to Friends With Benefits - GINA DRAYER

I have a feeling that I might be in the minority, as quite often when it comes to romance books like this one. And with these kind, I mean your rather cliche, well everything.

I actually liked it too much to DNF but while it had some quite fun and cute moments-the entire thing felt way too tried. It like half the situations were beyond cliche and the other half felt like Drayer is trying way too hard to make this quirky.

I think the writing style is quite good. The plot- well, I am a fan of bestie to lover stories- and this one was a bit meh and way to0 melodramatic.

The characters were.. well ... the guys are all a bit dim r super duche-bags, quite frankly. Except for the two gay guys- they seemed to dole out life advice on a stick instead. The women are all a bit catty. And let me just put it out there I am not a fan of Megan I found her self-centered and totally immature, a totally drama queen and rather manipulative. Half the time I kept thinking, she is supposed to be 30, but behaves like 12... And all those situations? Spoilt and selfish is all I can see.
I did like Peter, except he wasn't the brightest bulb was he? And I honestly don't think men are that stupid. I think it's rather sexist of us women to assume men don't have a clue- like ever... oh wait: except when they are gay, then the ball game changes apparently.

My biggest issue with this however? The sex and the supposed chemistry between Megan and Peter.
There was none. No chemistry. Drayer kept mentioning there was, but I couldn't see it at all.
The smut? It felt generic. Like now we doing this kind of scene- let's start and a go to b then c.
as example:

"Why Peter, I'm getting the distinct impression that you want something,"she teased as he crawled up her body. She giggled and tried to wiggle out from under him, but he caught both her hands.

Peter wasn't sure what she had in mind, but she was an alluring siren. He'd follow her anywhere.

Really? I found Megan's smut talk and behaviour obnoxious. At best.
But mostly the smut felt plotted and overdone.

So not a series for me..
Buuut I still lurve the cover and bestie-to-lover beats insta anyday!