deniz

Closet Geeks and Slow Mo

A favorite of 2015 - and total must read!

Soulbound - Kristen Callihan

You can find a Q&A with Kristen Callihan, an excerpt and a giveaway on Closet Geeks and Slow Mo

The other day a Friend of mine pointed at my Darkest London Books and said: "These looks so beautiful, what kind of books are they." This actually stopped me in my tracks. I've got the series on front row display for two reasons, first the eternal coverslut in me adores the way they look. And second I adore the series. But what kind of books are they? I answered: "Really good ones, you should read them!" My friend looked at me:"DUH, I guessed you must like them, you got what FIVE of them.. but what genre are they?" See that's why I paused and gave a . I am not so sure where I would put these.  After thinking about it I said: "Well, they steampunkish, kinda fantasy. PNR?"
Yeah, that's how awesome of a description I gave her. I know, I know- I should get awards for my super book explaining skills. *smirks* But honestly I've been thinking about this and also why I do love the series so much and sadly I think Callihan has reduced me to a fangirling mush. Just warning you....

Goodreads kept recommending me the series, but not many of my friends had read them, so it was on my TBR, but the reason I actually started reading the books? Well, I won Firelight at a GR giveaway. Which I am super happy about - I mean gifted books, yeay! - but I also finally got around to read it.  I got totally hooked, I proceeded to read every single book and novella I could get my hands on.
As I said, I love the series.
Each book is the story of one couple, they all could be read as a stand-alone, though they are in chronological. The characters are all connected one way or another so they do appear in each book.
But wait, why would you only read one of them? Trust me you don't wanna read this as a standalone. It would work- but why miss out on the other books? So if you haven't started the series yet... go read ALL of them!

Soulbound just like the previous books is definitely character driven.   Putting it simplistic I guess: It's essentially a romance about two characters and you know it will have a HEA.  But there is much more to this. Even if the ending is kinda clear, it's the journey that matters. By the way this kinda has an insta-love thingy going, but it's done in a way that is not only acceptable, it's moving and oh well, for a lack of a better word believable.  I don't wanna go too much into the plot, cause I won't be able to keep the spoilers at bay, but there are several twists and turns that surprised me. And while I totally expected a HEA, in the second last chapter of the book, I was seriously wondering how Callihan is going to give me one!
And may I just say, this is one of my favorite Persephone and Hades inspired stories ever!

The world building is... oh well.. for lack of a better word.. great. Each book reveals more about the paranormal side of the Darkest London world. And in each book Callihan managed to be more intricate and surprising.  As Callihan said she draws from legends, myth and fairytales, so yeah some of it is what we would expect, but Callihan adds her own stamp to it. Takes her inspiration and creates something new.  The series is set mostly in Victorian London. Each and every book, I am taken aback by how beautiful and vividly Callihan describes that setting. The fact that she gets the feeling and surroundings of Victorian London so right, makes her added fantasy twists feel more real. Every time I read one of the Darkest London books, I get lost in the world Callihan has constructed. And always, always I am left wanting more.

My favorite part is definitely the character building. I was looking forward to reading Adam's story. I had my ideas about Adam... But Callihan surprised me, with how Adam's story unraveled. Not only the story, but his background. I mean we had hints in the previous books, but I kinda expected him to be more wicked... Instead I found the more I read, the more I cared for Adam, the more I understood hi, connected to him and fell a little bit more for him. Eliza came across as rather spoilt in the beginning, but as the story went on her character evolved and one gets to see deeper into her. At the end, I was not surprised by her actions- well maybe a teeny tiny bit by the last twist- but well, it was just such an Eliza thing to do...

I think it after all that fangirling, it should be clear that I love Callihan's writing style. I am not sure how she works on a novel. (Darn! I should have asked her that!!) But not only does she obviously have a great talent when it comes to using words. She also proves that she is a master of her craft, by the way the novels are constructed. I don't really see a clear MO for the series- They are romances, they are connected, set in same world but each is unique, all wrapped up in gorgeous prose. Callihan excels in conveying emotions- she has just the right balance it's enough to make your heart ache with it, but not too much that it feels fake or over the top. I think this book cemented the fact that I will read anything Callihan writes. She definitely has become one of my favorite authors.

Soulbound is a fabulous addition to a great series. And one of my favorites in it. Adam, is my second favorite character in the series, just like Callihan I adore Jack.
When I finished Soulbound I went to see if the next one will be Sin's story. But I couldn't find anything online that - so I was beyond pleased to hear that Callihan is working on Forevermore. Already dreading that it is the last one in the series though...

It is a must read for lovers of the genre. Well, if you ask me its a must read full stop.